Monday, November 4, 2013

Amy Comes to Visit!


Hello Everyone!

This past week was great!  My friend, Amy, came to visit me for a few days!  We went to junior high and high school together.  Then I went off to UWGB and she went off to Missouri.  Currently, she is studying in Manchester, England for the year.  It had been a year and a half since we last saw each other.  I still remember her phone call back in March when we both figured out we would be studying abroad in Europe at the same time.  We made plans back then to see each other, and now we made it happen! 

As Amy made her way south to Bordeaux, she ran into some bumps on the journey here.  She had problems with her flight, with her train, communicating, it just wasn't pleasant.  A few hours later then planned, I went to the train station to pick her up.  It was quite exciting!  We made our way back to my apartment, went grocery shopping for the week, and then talked all night.  We had a lot to catch up on!  We had a lot of fun talking about the new and exciting things we have experienced, but we also had a nice vent session on the difficulties and fears of being here.  We had some good laughs from that!  We stayed in, cooked a yummy supper, and drank a bottle of wine!


The next day, I gave her the grand tour of Bordeaux.  It is such a beautiful city, so it was still exciting for me also!  We tried different treats and French food.  For lunch we got sandwiches from a little shop, and they were delicious!  The French are really good at making sandwiches!  We went back, relaxed for a while, and ventured out again to see the city at night!  And of course, we made our way to my favorite "The Cock and Bull" for some drinks!  When we got in for the night, we Skyped our friend Nanna and had a very entertaining conversation at 3 in the morning.

On Thursday (Halloween!!!!), we kept it easy and relaxed.  We got more sandwiches from a different shop by Hotel de Ville.  Then I took her to see my school.  After that we were off to the Bordeaux Wine and Trade Museum, which was very cool!  After we went through the museum, we had a wine tasting!! Amy was super excited, it was her first wine tasting! And what better place to have one than the wine capital of the world?!  We bought a bottle of wine and were off to find a place to eat for dinner.  French don't really celebrate Halloween, so we didn't have many options for entertainment, but we loved seeing some decorations.  We settled on a Mexican restaurant.  The food was delicious, the Margarita was amazing, but the Pina Colada was horrible!  I shivered just at the smell!  Horrible drink makes for a sad dinner! haha But we still loved the rest.  That night we got to talk to our friend Sara for a while! Then we opened a bottle of wine and watched Hocus Pocus for Halloween!! One of my absolute favorite movies!! (We also had a bucket full of candy to complete Halloween! haha)


Friday we were off to the ocean!! We went to this very pretty town called Arcachon.  It looked a lot like Florida!  It was a really good day, and there were so many pretty views!  We played on the beach and walked in the water for a while.  The water was a bit cold, but nothing a Wisconsin girl couldn't handle!  I was really tempted to jump in, but I didn't have extra clothes!  To get to the ocean, we had to take a train.  That was my first train in Europe!  All of the announcements were in French, but we made it there and back just fine!  Watch out, I am becoming an experienced traveler! ; )  When we got back we went to the city center, watched a puppet sing opera, and bought some Macarons!  I love them.  We had to get up early the next morning to get to the train station, so we stayed in that night and watched another one of my favorite movies!  Ever After, it takes place in France!!


Amy's journey back to Manchester started out rough again, she missed her train!  We got everything cleared up though and she made it back safe and sound!  We also started planning my trip to England!  I don't know when and I don't know how, but I will be going there!

At this point, I was all alone in Bordeaux.  Everyone I knew had gone somewhere or gone home for our week break and weren't returning until the next day, on Sunday.  So I had some "Krysta" time and mostly worked on a project that I have to present tomorrow.  I am very nervous for that!!  I was able to take some breaks from school work for Skype though!  I got to talk to my parents again.  I had a lovely conversation with my younger cousin Courtney.  Also, I was able to talk to my little cousins that I babysit, Taylor and Peyton!  We talked for 45 whole minutes!  They had so much to show me, Taylor told me a bedtime story, and then we played in their fort for a while!  It was very cool!  My little brother, Tyler, was babysitting them, so I got to talk to him for a while also!

It was a very nice and relaxing week!  Now it is back to classes!

Thank you for reading! Love everyone and miss everyone!

-Krysta

"If you hear music, dance."
-Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment